Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Emotional Eating

Something my beach body coach, Amy Shaw, helped me realize is that before you can successfully lose weight, you need to figure out the trigger of your emotional eating. For me my emotional eating came out of years and years of bitterness and hurt that had built up in my life, from things like being made fun of for being fat (back when I wasn't fat) and bitterness towards people that had let me down.

In order to stop emotionally eating I had to allow myself to forgive those people that had hurt me. I had to realize that holding onto bitterness and anger was like swallowing poison and expecting the other person to die. The people from your past don't care if your feelings were hurt, they don't think about you, they don't care about you, otherwise they wouldn't have said the thing they said to you. You MUST let it go before you can move on.

Maybe it's not bitterness for you, maybe it's sadness from a loved one hurting you or betraying your trust, you need to forgive them (in your head) and move on. By move on I don't mean get a divorce or never talk to them again, I mean you need to emotionally let it go. This can be very hard if it is a spouse or a parent, but by letting it go it ~frees you~ to stop emotionally eating and allows you to become a stronger happier person, and healthier and successful at losing the weight you want to lose!

Don't let a person hold that power over your head. It is your choice to continue to hold that grudge, and it isn't a healthy one, it will alienate you from everyone in your life til you become a shell of the person you used to be. You can choose to free yourself from that mental hold they have on you and by doing so you will lose weight, you won't over eat so much because you will be aware that you are over eating and you'll know why.

And like G.I. Joe always said...

No comments:

Post a Comment